Pages

Beholden To None

Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Hug To Save Us All

The Hug Felt Around the World

I will not play at tug o’ war.
I’d rather play at hug o’ war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.
~Shel Silverstein

 

The Power of a Hug

Hugging has, in many areas of the world, become a normal, natural greeting.  A hug is usually a demonstration of affection and emotional warmth, sometimes coming from the of joy or happiness felt at meeting someone or seeing someone that you have not seen in a long time.  A hug can be conversely be given as an indication of support, comfort, and consolation, particularly where words are inadequate or simply don’t come, becoming a superior form of communication when rhetoric cannot measure up to the moment.

I’m a hugger, through and through…  Long lost friend~ and we meet again?  Hug.  Family I saw last week?  Hug!  Family I haven’t seen for awhile?  Big Hug!!  Meeting new potential friend for the first time?  Aaaw, come on~ bring it in…  Although I have noticed that I have tamed myself just slightly in the last few years based on other people’s hug “responses”, I realize now that, “Hey, I gotta be me!” ;)  And I’m a hugger… Always have been, always will be, and I suspect that I have my grandmother to thank for that wonderful gift~ she was the same way, too. =)  Heck, I’m even known for saying that “I don’t shake hands, I hug…”  I’ll even admit that I have a harder time connecting with or trusting someone who can’t or won’t reciprocate a hug.  Now, if a handshake is situation appropriate, alright then, but are there even times when it’s more appropriate to shake hands than to hug, anymore?? ;)

A Hug A Day Keeps the Doctor ~ and The Blues~ Away

Lack of touch on our lives is detrimental to our well being.  We need physical contact to feel connected to something other than ourselves, to feel like we are not alone in this thing called Life.  We especially want for those feelings of connection during times of distress and need.  Hugs are a great way to fill that want, and science even backs that up.  Study after study tells us that hugging not only feels great, but is great for you, too.  Hugging is healing; it has been shown that the act of a good hug can lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and even boost memory.  Hugging fosters connection and trust.  It relaxes muscles and releases tension.  Hugs teach us about giving and receiving love~ and that the flow of love goes both ways.  In addition, a good hug spurs your body on to release feel-good hormones, improving your mood and creating feelings of happiness.  And the really great news? Both the ‘hugger’ AND the ‘huggee’ receive the benefits.

hugging is good medicine

The Hug That Started a Social Movement

Someone who understands the importance of regular hugs in our lives is “Juan Mann,” a man from Australia that began a campaign offering “Free Hugs” to strangers in a busy public intersection in Sydney.  In this age of social disconnect and lack of human contact, his mission was simple: to brighten someone’s day.  And he did. =)  Many ‘someones’.  In fact, as a result of the original campaign, and the hopeful symbol that triumphed over controversy and political red tape, similar campaigns have been started in communities all over the globe.  You can read more about this journey here and here.  But if you watch the below video, you’ll “feel” what the movement is all about… And I dare you to not cry! =)

It was once said by American author and family psychotherapist Virginia Satir that:

 

 vSatir- 4 hugs a day

I believe she was on to something there… I know I feel a difference in my very being when I haven’t given or gotten enough hugs for a while.

How about you??  Who have you hugged today?? =)


Until next time...

May your imagination light your way,
~xo~ StacyLynn a.k.a. AllAmrcnWldFlwr [Flower]

P.S. Want to know how I make money blogging about what matters to me??!!  YOU CAN, TOO!! 
Click the picture below, and I'll show you how...

go ALL in whole heartedly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show, Share, and Spread the Love... Thanks! =)
~xo~ "@~>~"